Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This generation?

I just read an article by Ted Dekker on my friend's blog and it brought up something that I've been thinking about (http://fionalouisecooper.blogspot.com/2009/05/ted-dekker-on-christianity.html). Let me begin, though, by saying that I really liked what he wrote. His premise is that the term “Christian” evokes different sentiments in different people. In many cases, the name of Christ has come to be associated with violence, intolerance, and hate. Dekker asks what ever happened to the whole “they will know you are mine by your love” thing. Then he says that this generation is ready to rise up and do a better job. We are going to do right what those before us have done wrong. It’s a common hope. Good. However, I have a small challenge.

I've been thinking, lately, about how the Holy Spirit has been working in individuals ever since the events described in Acts 2. Humans are sinful and selfish and messy. And most really don't want to die to Self at all. Including those in the Church. Religion is a human invention. Christianity is a religion. Instead of picking up our crosses (which, I believe, is the true mark of Jesus’ followers), many would rather use Christianity as a label, something to give us identity and purpose. Our own identity is very important to us, so Identifying ourselves with a worthy group or cause holds great appeal. Self-sacrifice isn’t quite as attractive. Yes, we may discipline our bodies and abstain from certain fleshly pleasures. But really dying to that which matters (namely, our pride) is quite rare, indeed. So we jump on the "Battlecry! We are the new generation of true people lovers" bandwagon without ever dying to Self and putting others first.

Instead of saying that this generation is ready to rise up, I would sooner encourage those within this generation to fall in step with those who, for the last 2000 years, have been finding the secret of life through death. We have not gotten it right whereas everyone else in our history has failed. I am sensitive to this difference because I really like to be right. This is part of my identity. I like to be the hero. I like to be right. I like to figure things out. I like to be right. And I don’t think it does my spirit good to think that I understand Christianity in a better way than those who have gone before me. Not only does it not do my spirit good, but it is simply not true. I am confident that there have been lone voices, shining like stars, throughout the history of the Church. I suspect that these are the ones who have started public schools, hospitals, and orphanages. Their stories are somewhat obscure and harder to find than those of the self-indulged who have pushed themselves into the forefront of our collective consciousness, but they do exist. They've existed in the past and they exist in the present. So do goats. And chaff. And bad fish. And unfortunately, my understanding of the Bible (and people) convinces me that our generation will not be any different from those who have gone before us.

Because God’s Spirit indwells God’s followers, our character is transformed by God’s presence. Because God is One and it’s God’s character into which we are transformed, the core elements of that transformation should be at least recognizable in all individuals throughout history who have, indeed, been led by the Spirit. When I first realize that my great new ideas aren’t that new, I get a bit sad, I must admit. But only until I realize that the very unoriginality of my thoughts are a mark of their inspiration. And once again I am thankful for God’s Spirit that connects me with the beautiful, global, living, and enduring Body of Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog so far! I'm looking forward to reading more... hooray for you, Alyssa, keep it up!!! Much love x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Alyssa....maybe you should be a writer or professor or something...?;)

    ReplyDelete